Whether it’s a scratchy throat, a runny nose or an uncomfortable cough, no one likes to have a cold, but what can you do about it and how can you tell it apart from the flu? The symptoms of the disease are similar, but much more pronounced in influenza, and especially high fever is rare in colds.
Important: However, in winter 2020, fever, cough, and sore throat may also indicate a corona infection. Therefore, better get medical advice.
Various home remedies help against a simple flu-like infection, here are 3 proven methods:
Make your own cough syrup (from onion and honey)
A classic among home remedies and for good reason. The combination of onions and honey has power! Onion has an antibacterial effect and honey covers the strained mucous membranes in the throat and is said to have an anti-inflammatory effect. The scientific results of a 2020 review also indicate that honey may be helpful for acute cough.
And it’s as simple as that:
- Peel an onion, cut it into small pieces and put the pieces in a glass or cup and pour 2 tablespoons of liquid honey over it
- Leave to infuse for a few hours or preferably overnight and then pour off the resulting liquid
- Ready is your homemade cough syrup, which you can take several times a day on a spoon
Hot ginger tea
Not for nothing one of the main ingredients of the Indian healing art Ayurveda. In addition to the pleasant warming effect of the tuber, the essential oils and pungent substances of ginger can strengthen the immune system, have an anti-inflammatory, analgesic and expectorant effect.
How to make the ginger tea itself:
- Cut a thumb-thick piece from a ginger bulb
- Peel it and cut it into small pieces, the smaller the pieces the more intense the taste (tip: make sure to remove the peel as thinly as possible, the effective substances are located directly under the peel, if you buy organic ginger, you can also leave the peel on).
- Put the cut pieces in a cup and pour boiling water, if you like add honey and lemon.
It can be so simple. Salt is a small miracle cure for stuffy noses, not for nothing there are nasal sprays with saline solution to buy in many places, yet it is so easy to make yourself. Simply dissolve about 1 gram of salt per 100 ml in water and pour into a spray bottle. Alternatively, you can inhale, dissolve the salt in the same proportion in a bowl of hot water, throw a towel over your head and inhale deeply and evenly.
Sources: https://utopia.de/ratgeber/pflanzliche-hausmittel-erkaeltung • https://www.erkaeltungs-ratgeber.de/erkaeltung/hausmittel